We're in the middle of potty training and so far have not been successful. I'm wondering if I missed my window several months ago when Molly actually "went" a time or two on the potty without hesitation. Thinking I should wait at least until she turns two... I completely ignored it.... and today she wants nothing to do with it. Even a colorful jar of mini M&Ms can't make her sit on that cute pink potty seat.
I promised myself not to force her... but I'm getting anxious. Maybe it's the pay raise I get once the diapers are gone... or the fear of her being the last one in diapers. Silly, I know.
I don't know about little girls, but you might try taking her as soon as she wakes up in the morning or from naps.
ReplyDeleteI just received a copy of this book. I have not started training, but the ideas are somewhat new to me: eg, mom says it's time to sit on the potty, it is not a question of "do you want to?" Anyway, maybe it will be of some help to you.
ReplyDeletehttp://tinyurl.com/38zwxg5
We set a fun timer that makes a seriously dorky noise and then out lil man knows it's time to try. Doesn't matter what's happening, we drop everything and go every 30 mins. We're on day three here, so far so good...We waited a looooong time to train compared to our friends (Oliver is a bit over 3), but so glad we did. Also, our friends got potty training pants (NOT pull-ups, they can't feel if they are wet) that have princessess on them, and darned if A is terrified of getting her beloved princesses wet!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great tips!! We're still working on it. I love the idea of using princess potty training pants... too funny!
ReplyDeleteHere are two things I think helped us. First, I let him run around without any diaper on for the better part of the day a few times. I'm pretty sure before that he had no idea how the whole process worked anyway. I didn't expect any potty success, just exposure to "this feeling = what's dripping down my leg?" We spent most of these times outside in the backyard so there were less messes to clean up, and I tried to be very vigilant about watching him to see if I could detect when it was coming, but I did have to clean up some messes. I think it helped a lot though. Second, he watched a lot of other kids going to the potty because he was in daycare. When I told this to other mommy friends whose kids weren't in daycare, a few asked if they could send their kid into the bathroom with my son to observe him going to the potty. Sounds strange, but we mothers know this isn't weird and I was like, sure - whatever works. Group demonstrations!
ReplyDelete