Friday, August 27

Tablecloth Dress

It's official, I'm completely addicted to elastic thread and shirring!! It's taken me a while to figure it out... my sewing machine wasn't thrilled at first with this strange thread but after a little talk she agreed to accept it.



For my first shirring project, I decided to use this wild flower tablecloth. I stumbled upon it at the thrift store... just over 2 yards of fabric, very soft and in perfect condition for only $3. 



My closet was calling for a new summer dress so with no pattern, I just kinda winged it. Took a few measurements and started making my straight lines. Since this tablecloth has a rolled hem, I really didn't have to do too much to it. If you haven't tried shirring yet you must, it's so gratifying to watch the fabric scrunch up behind the needle. Love it!!


After about 20 rows were completed, I stitched up the back, hemmed the bottom and added straps. My wild flower tablecloth dress...

Happy shirring!

7 comments:

  1. cute Amber! It's darling on you and I love the tablecloth fabric. One of the cooler vintage ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey wait...you made the elastic thread work in your machine!!! What was the secret??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dana! Yes, I finally got the thread to work... was very excited! I had to feed it thru by hand and pull it tight while making my first stitch. Thinking I may post a how-to for other Viking-ers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I love it! So cute. I know exactly what you mean about gratifying feeling from shirring, I just finished my first project (skirt) involving elastic thread and seeing it all scrunched up and straight made me so happy! I was like a kid in a candy store.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Haylee... I would love to see your skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress is darling, and so it the picture!

    ReplyDelete