Friday, January 28

The "c" word & Thankfulness

One year ago today, I watched as nurses wheeled my mom into an operating room for a very long, very delicate 9 hour surgery. To remove of all things... a cancerous tumor.

Have you ever had a moment when you felt like everything in your world was falling apart? When you felt like no one could possibly understand, or say the right words to make it all ok? My world fell apart when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. ugh. The "c" word. The word you never expect to hear coming from your parents mouth the day after Christmas.

Cancer happens to other peoples parents, not mine... so I thought.

God has a funny way of working sometimes. Let's just say He's gotten my attention loud and clear. Without this dreaded "c" word lurking into our lives, I'm not so sure we'd be the people we are today. "Letting go and letting God" has a whole new meaning to my life. Cancer brought us closer to each other as a family, it put our priorities in a much needed order and made me realize that God is first... all else falls second. (Though I confess that I am not perfect and am still working on this last one!)

So, to end this post on an enlightening note...

I am thrilled to be celebrating this one year anniversary with my mom, who has recovered amazingly well. I am thankful to God for letting her finish whatever work He has for her here on earth... for the very few friends and family members that have been by her side through the thick and thin... for the special people we've met along the way that have led her to find great doctors... and mostly, I am thankful to God for allowing us to strengthen our faith and making us see this life a little bit more clearer. No longer do I feel my world falling apart... I have learned through this experience that God has it all under control. There's no point in worrying or fretting the journey we are taken on. We just need to have a little faith, hang onto our favorite bible verse and enjoy this journey.

Happy Anniversary Mom... I admire your great strength and positive attitude while walking straight through this fire. I love you and feel blessed to be apart of this chapter in our lives.

{My Momma & Me ~ Purple Stride Pancreatic Cancer 5k Walk 2010}

1 comment:

  1. Your mom is amazing along with the rest of your family. I am rejoicing with you today! God is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete